Saturday 19 December 2009

Reflecting

I was asked in an application form to recognise the most important issue facing artists today...



The role of the artist is visual communicator. Artists tell stories, reflect the world and its events, and express emotions through their chosen form. I feel that the artist's goal is to communicate something. One of the most important questions facing artists today is how to retain the poignancy of such communication in a time where visual communication is accessible to everyone, and the sharing of information so rapid.
Affordable technology such as the digital camera gives anyone the opportunity to be an artist.
Professional artists shouldn't be challenged by this, nor feel the need to “prove” the merit of their work and assert why it is, in fact, art, because I reckon that being an artist today is, more than ever, about visual communication, and some kind of recognition that this is somehow important. Gasp. That was a long sentence.
What I'm trying to say is,
We are all just so naturally competitive, I think.

3 comments:

  1. As one with a penchant for long (and waffly) sentencery, I'm just impressed that yours makes so much SENSE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and just so you know, I didn't say "reckon" in the application form...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you REALLY think.